Fall is one of my favorite seasons. The cooler weather, the joy of sipping warm beverages like pumpkin spice lattes and apple cider, and the anticipation of Halloween all add up to a magical time of year. However, there’s one thing that truly makes this season special – pumpkins! In the spirit of the season, I’m excited to share with you a 9-page printable guide filled with the Best Pumpkin Patches in all 50 states. From Andy’s Farm Market in Birmingham, Alabama to Queen’s Dairy Farm in Cheyenne, Wisconsin, there’s a pumpkin patch waiting for you with an abundance of fall activities, including pumpkin picking, corn mazes, and more. So, read on to discover which pumpkin patch you should visit next and make the most of this delightful season.
Related: 50 States Bucket List of Must-See Landmarks and Attractions
Discover The Best Pumpkin Patches Across the Nation
The printable packet is your ultimate resource for discovering pumpkin patches in all 50 states. We’ve carefully curated at least five incredible pumpkin patches for each state, making it easy for you to find one in your own state or nearby. For example, New York boasts The Great Pumpkin Farm in Clarent, Stokoe Farms in Scottsville, Queens County Farm Museum in Queens, Hank’s PumpkinTown in Water Mill, and Ellms Family Farm in Ballston Spa. Each of these patches offers a plethora of family-friendly activities, from exciting hayrides to intricate corn mazes and lively festivals. There’s something for everyone, regardless of age. Feeling particularly adventurous? Consider planning a road trip to visit them all, as each patch has its unique charm and activities that shouldn’t be missed.
Related: Awesome Things to Do and See in All 50 States
Fun Fact: The Pumpkin Capital of the United States
Did you know that in 2021, Illinois maintained its leading position in pumpkin acreage, harvesting more than twice as many pumpkin acres as any of the other top states, with a staggering 15,900 acres of pumpkins? This fun fact adds even more allure to our pumpkin patch adventure! – Source: USDA
How to Choose the Perfect Pumpkin at the Pumpkin Patch
Getting to a pumpkin patch is the easy part, but choosing the perfect pumpkin might take a bit of work. Here are some tips to help you find the pumpkin that’s just right for you:
1. Inspect the Stem: Look for a pumpkin with a well-attached stem. A solid stem ensures the pumpkin is fresh and will last longer. If the stem is loose or damaged, it may not be the best choice.
2. Examine for Imperfections: Check the pumpkin’s skin for any dings or cuts. A smooth, unblemished surface means a healthier, longer-lasting pumpkin.
3. Get the Kids Involved: Make pumpkin-picking a family adventure. Get the little ones involved in the process. Let them choose their own pumpkins – it’s a fun activity that they’ll cherish.
How to Wash and Store Your Pumpkin
Now that you’ve found the perfect pumpkin, you’ll want to make sure it lasts throughout the season. Here’s how to clean and store your pumpkin properly:
1. Use a Vinegar Bath: Prepare a solution of 1 cup of white vinegar to 2 gallons of water in a sink or outdoor tub. Gently place your pumpkins in the solution and allow them to float for about 15 minutes. This method is preferred over bleach, as pumpkins tend to respond better to it.
2. Gentle Cleaning: If your pumpkin needs cleaning, use a soft cloth. Avoid scrubbing with a brush or abrasive sponge, as it may damage the pumpkin’s skin.
3. Storage: Keep your pumpkin out of direct sunlight and in a dry, cool place for extended storage. This will help prevent premature rotting and maintain its freshness.
Carving Your Pumpkin
Carving pumpkins is a beloved tradition during the fall season. To ensure your pumpkin remains looking its best, consider this tip:
1. Apply Petroleum Jelly: To slow down the shriveling process, apply petroleum jelly on the inside and any cut surfaces of your pumpkin. It may be a bit messy, but it’s worth it for that perfectly carved pumpkin.
Related: Spooky Roadside Attractions: Quirky Stops for Halloween Fun
Embark on Your Pumpkin-Picking Adventure.
As we wrap up our journey through the best pumpkin patches in all 50 states, I hope you’ve gained insight into the art of choosing, cleaning, and preserving your pumpkin. Now, it’s time to put this knowledge into practice and embark on your pumpkin-picking adventure. The joy of visiting these patches, selecting the perfect pumpkin, and crafting creative jack-o’-lanterns is a fantastic way to celebrate the fall season. So, don’t hesitate – grab your family and friends and head to the nearest pumpkin patch for an unforgettable autumn experience. Happy pumpkin picking!