Couples who are going through fertility treatments and infertility are under a tremendous amount of stress. The constant appointments, medication schedules, and emotional ups and downs can take a toll on their mental and physical health. Taking a vacation can provide a much-needed break and help couples relax and reconnect. As someone who has gone through this, I will discuss why it is important for couples going through fertility treatments to take a vacation. You’re probably thinking that planning a vacation in between treatments is hectic, but I will cover that too.
Why Couples Going Through Fertility Treatments Should Take a Vacation
My husband and I had a long journey to getting our Baby #2. One of the best distractions was traveling because fertility treatments can be emotionally and physically draining. If you’re in this situation, you may feel like you are on a rollercoaster of emotions and it can be challenging to find a moment of peace. Taking a vacation can help you recharge and reset your mind.
The constant focus on fertility treatments can put a strain on a couple’s relationship. It can be challenging to find time for intimacy and romance when the focus is on schedules, appointments, and shots. A vacation can provide the opportunity for couples to reconnect and enjoy each other’s company without any distractions or worrying about time. We know that everything about successful fertility treatment is based on “perfect” timing.
Fertility treatments can be expensive, and many couples may feel guilty about spending money on going on a vacation. However, taking a break from fertility treatments can actually be beneficial in the long run. Couples who are relaxed and refreshed may have a better chance of conceiving than those who are stressed and anxious.
Related: Stress and Infertility: Does Just Calming Down Really Work?
The Best Time to Take a Vacation
The best time to take a vacation when going through fertility treatments depends on the couple’s schedule and the type of treatment they are undergoing. It’s important to talk to your fertility specialist before making any travel plans to ensure that the trip won’t interfere with your respective fertility treatment.
If you are undergoing in vitro fertilization (IVF) treatment, the best time to take a vacation is during the waiting period between the embryo transfer and the pregnancy test. This waiting period can be stressful, and a vacation can help you and your partner relax and take your minds off the treatment.
Related: Tips to Help You Survive the Two-Week Wait
If you’re undergoing other types of fertility treatments, such as intrauterine insemination (IUI), the best time to take a vacation is during the non-treatment cycles. This can help you avoid any interference with your treatment and give you a much-needed break from the emotional and physical demands of fertility treatments.
The Best Places to Go
When choosing a vacation spot, you should consider a few things: your budget, interests, and accessibility. Some of the best places for couples going through fertility treatments include:
- Beach Destinations: Beach destinations such as Mexico, Hawaii, the Caribbean, or the Maldives are great options for couples who want to relax and unwind. The sound of the ocean and the beautiful scenery can be therapeutic and calming. Grand Velas in Puerto Vallarta offers a moon bathing experience which is believed to help fertility.
- Spa Resorts: Spa resorts offer a wide range of treatments such as massages, facials, and yoga classes. These activities can help couples relax and de-stress. YO1 in Monticello, New York offers programs that address infertility.
- Nature Getaways: National parks or nature resorts offer beautiful scenery and opportunities for outdoor activities such as hiking, fishing, and camping. These activities can help couples connect with nature and each other.
The Best Things to Do
While on vacation, couples should focus on activities that help them relax and bond with each other. Here are some of the best things to do on a fertility treatment vacation:
- Spend Time Outdoors: Spend time outdoors and enjoy the natural beauty of the destination. Whether it’s hiking, walking on the beach, or going for a bike ride, spending time in nature can be therapeutic and calming.
- Practice Yoga or Meditation: Yoga or meditation can help couples relax and de-stress. Many resorts offer yoga classes or meditation sessions that couples can attend together.
- Indulge in Spa Treatments: Spa treatments such as massages, and facials.
Taking a vacation can provide a much-needed break for couples going through fertility treatments and infertility. It can help you to relax, recharge, and reconnect with your partner. The best time to take a vacation depends on the couple’s treatment schedule, and the best places and things to do vary based on your interests and preferences. Sometimes taking a break from fertility treatments can increase the chances of conception. So, if you are going through fertility treatments, consider taking a vacation, and giving yourself a well-deserved break.