Red Velvet cake is one of the most popular baked desserts in the African American community. The deep red color is symbolic of the bloodshed of our ancestors and their lives lost during enslavement. This dessert, known for its smooth, moist, and almost pillow soft-like texture, is most often made during holidays, specifically to celebrate emancipation or Juneteenth. However, many people enjoy it for birthdays or any special occasion. These days, any day we wake up in good health with our family, a roof over our heads, and a means to keep it that way, is a day to celebrate. I’ve found the perfect way to incorporate a favorite dessert into a must-have brunch item: Red Velvet Waffles.
I didn’t come up with the idea of Red Velvet Waffles. When we lived in Brooklyn, we frequented a local Black-owned restaurant – Soco – where we were first introduced to them. At first, I was a bit skeptical. A cake as a waffle? How would that work? But they were amazing! Since I am into recreating our favorite restaurant dishes at home, I figured I’d try my hand at making my own Red Velvet Waffles.
While other Red Velvet Waffle recipes called for using cake batter or no yeast, I ended up doing my own “thang”. I find when you make something your own, it comes out better. I also ended up making some Maple Cream Cheese Butter, too!
So, if you do end up making this, tweak it to your liking. Let me know how it turns out.
Red Velvet Waffle Recipe
Red Velvet Waffle Recipe
- Waffle Iron
Red Velvet Waffle Mix
- 1 pack yeast Real Belgian Waffles Use Yeast *Feed the yeastaccording to instructions prior to preppingthe batter. For a less yeasty flavor you can add more baking powder and let thebatter set for less time.
- 1 tsp baking powder Use 2 tsp if you don’t want to use yeast
- 1 cup flour Tip: If you like yourwaffles crispy, use ¼ cup of cornstarch and ¾ cups flour.
- 2 tbsp unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 5 tbsp melted butter
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 ½ cup butter milk
- 1 tbsp red food coloring
- 1 tspn cider or white balsamic vinegar
Maple Cream Cheese Butter Recipe
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 tbsp cream cheese
Red Velvet Waffle Recipe Instructions
- Combine all dry ingredients into one bowl, and mix.
- Mix red food coloring and vinegar.
- In a separate bowl, combine 1-cup buttermilk, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla. Add red food coloring/vinegar mix, and whisk together. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients, and mix. Then add yeast, and mix.
- Cover with plastic wrap, and let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes; the mixture will begin to bubble. You can cook the waffles at this point, or refrigerate the batter overnight to cook waffles the next day.
- Preheat your waffle iron. Spray with non-stick vegetable oil spray, and pour ⅔ to ¾ cup batter (or the amount recommended by the manufacturer) onto the center of the iron. Close the lid and bake for the recommended amount of time.
- Serve immediately, or keep warm in a 200°F oven.
Maple Cream Cheese Butter Intrsuctions
- Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl. Set aside.