As much as I hate to say it, summer is almost over. This means homeowners like me have to begin preparing their homes for the colder months. Fall is the perfect time for doing it. This Fall Home Maintenance Checklist features everything that homeowners should do to prepare their home for the fall. Whether it is making sure safety is taken care of indoors or outdoors, this list has got you covered.
Home Maintenance To-Do Inside the Home
- Ensure that the furnace is working.
- Change air filters.
- Bring out winter bedding.
- Clean the carpets.
- Inspect and clean fireplace and chimney.
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, replace batteries.
- Check and replace worn weather stripping.
- Create a dedicated space for muddy shoes and raincoats.
- Check and service the HVAC system.
- Drain the hot water heater.
- Reverse your fans (they will circulate warm air if they turn clockwise).
Home Maintenance To-Do Outside
- Stock up on firewood.
- Check the roof for obvious signs of damage.
- Clean the gutters and downspouts.
- Clean the BBQ grill.
- Winterize your pool with a winterizing and closing chemical kit, and cover with a pool cover.
- Service and prepare your snowblower.
- Put away or cover outdoor furniture.
- Drain and stow hoses.
- Check exterior caulk and redo if necessary.
- Fix cracks in your patio and driveway
Home Maintenance To Do in the Garden
- Clean flower and garden beds.
- Rake up leaves and clear brush.
- Mow and fertilize the lawn.
- Bring in potted plants.
- Plant bulbs for spring flowers.
- Cut back perennials.
- Cover tender plants with mulch.