Three years ago, when looking to upgrade from my previous 2-row mid-size SUV, I wanted something that was not only safe for my family but also was luxurious or at least looked and felt like luxury. After researching various mid-size SUVs, I chose the 2017 Nissan Murano SL. It has an uncanny resemblance to the Lexus RX350, but without the price tag. At the time, the Murano had everything I was looking for in a luxury vehicle – heated leather seats, remote start, bird’s eye view backup camera, panoramic moonroof, and more. The Murano was also top-rated in its class as a safe 2-row mid-size vehicle for families. It was perfect for me.
As I prepare to replace it, I’m sharing What I Love About My 2017 Nissan Murano SL.
RELATED: The Top 6 Car Buying Tips for Parents Buying a New Car
Luxury Look & Feel
With its curvy body and leather interior, the 2017 Murano SL looked like the mid-size luxury vehicle I wanted.
- Leather seats – the zero-gravity leather seats are extremely comfortable, especially during long drives.
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel – made gripping the steering wheel easier and made for more comfortable driving.
- Panoramic Moonroof – this is by far one of my most used features. It makes me feel less claustrophobic. On sunny days, it makes my morning commutes a lot more enjoyable.
As a mom, having a vehicle with the latest safety features in addition to receiving top ratings in safety, is important to me.
- Birds Eye View 360° Camera – this provides me with added confidence when backing into tight spots, especially in the city or in parking lots.
- Blind Spot Monitoring – when driving with kids you can at times become distracted. Blind-spot monitoring has been my saving grace by providing visual and audio warnings when changing lanes to prevent merging into another vehicle.
- Auto Headlights with Rain Sensor Wipers – It’s the law to have your headlights on when using your windshield wipers during rain. Many people forget, and I would be one without the auto headlight feature.
- Forward collision warning – again, kids can be one of the biggest distractions when driving. Driving in heavy traffic when distracted can lead to fender benders. The forward collision warning, through providing both visual and audio warnings, has been helpful in preventing me from rear-ending a vehicle in front of me.
- Rear Cross-traffic Alert – I absolutely DESPISE driving in the city. If it isn’t the yellow taxis giving me anxiety, it is pedestrians walking through traffic or behind your vehicle while backing up. Rear cross-traffic alert lets me know if anything is suddenly walking behind my vehicle while backing up.
Did You Know:
kids are 12x more distracting to the driver than talking on a cell phone while at the wheel. #nissandiversity #nissanmamas
— Kim S. #blackinfluencer #blackmomblogger (@BeautynBumpNYC) May 24, 2017
RELATED: Nissan Presents – Bloggin’ Mamas Safety Academy
The LATCH Child-Seat Connectors Help Keep My Daughter Safe & Secure
When I first got the Murano SL, my daughter was six-years-old. There was one car seat I would have to accommodate on a daily basis. I also had to take into consideration the times I would be with my sister and my nephew and niece who also require ca seats. The Murano, a 5 passenger SUV, thankfully has two full sets of LATCH child-seat connectors on the outboard rear seats. In addition to that, there is an upper tether on the middle rear seat, allowing room for a child or small adult to sit in between two car seats.
The 2017 Murano SL LATCH system has the second-best safety rating – “Acceptable” – from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) for ease of use. rates the Murano’s LATCH system as Acceptable – the second-best rating – for ease of use.
Technology & Entertainment to Keep the Entire Family Satisfied
- Apple Car Play – I love being able to have access to my favorite apps on my phone using the SUVs 8” touchscreen.
- Rear Passenger Accessories – Nissan kept rear passengers in mind when designing the interior of the Murano. The console’s cellphone holder provides my daughter with hands-free entertainment during long rides. The USB port helps to keep her tablet charged during road trips.
- 11-speaker Bose Audio System – one of the ways I enjoy my solo commutes is by listening to my favorite music on this audio system. It provides a crisp and clear sound throughout the cabin of the SUV. It at times makes me reminisce about my clubbing days.
- Remote Engine Start – New York is notorious for its cold winters and hot and humid summers. Being able to cool or warm my vehicle with remote start is a luxury I cannot give up.
- Power Liftgate – after having experienced not having to manually open my trunk when my hands are full, my next SUV must have a power liftgate. It is convenient when juggling kids, and grocery bags, especially during inclement weather.
Cargo Space Fit for Families
With 31.1 cubic feet of cargo space (67 cubic feet with seats folded), I have transported strollers, gardening supplies, and have even used it as a hiding place for my daughter’s Christmas presents. I’ve also used it as shoe storage for when I have to change shoes at the office.
Fuel-Efficient for Daily Commutes or Family Road Trips
Most SUVs with a V6 engine are gas guzzlers; however, I’ve noticed that my Murano SL was the opposite. Nissan boasts on average, 21 city/28 highway mpg. Since most of my commute is on the highway, I’ve averaged 26 mpg, with 31 mpg being my highest, which, to me, is an excellent fuel economy for a V6.
Another bonus is that the Murano SL does not require premium gas; therefore, you’re saving money by not paying higher costs for premium fuel.
The 2017 Nissan Murano SL is the perfect 2-row midsize SUV for my family.
I loved that my Murano has a luxury feel without the added cost. The sleek lines and bold styling even have me taking second looks while it’s parked in my driveway or even when I see one on the road. I think it’s a sexy “mom car”. As a family who often road trips, the interior – seating, legroom – makes for comfortable long drives. The safety features make me feel confident when on the road either whether I am driving to work or dropping my daughter off to school.
The technology and entertainment features help keep my family and me entertained during our frequent road trips. The cargo space makes it a desirable 2-row mid-size SUV for families. Now, that my family has grown, the search is on for something a tad bit bigger and better, but without a hefty price tag.