Monday, since I was off for President’s Day, I decided to make what I’d call an elaborate meal for the husband. The meal consisted of the following: BBQ’d short ribs, Broccoli in a homemade three cheese sauce, and the star of the meal, Maple, Pecan Mashed Potatoes.
Usually, we bake our mashed potatoes with some cinnamon, nutmeg and butter or we’d make Parmesan mashed sweet potatoes, which are yummy. I figured it was time for something new because sometimes my taste buds get bored with the same old things.
I found the recipe for the mashed sweet potatoes on Epicurious.com. By the way, I love that site thanks to my sister, Shani! I didn’t have any lemon juice, so I used orange juice instead. I figured that’d be fine since it’s still an acid. I think next time I will whip the sweet potatoes with heavy cream; super fatty, I know. Heavy cream makes everything tastes better.
- 1 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (about 2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) chilled butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 5 pounds red-skinned sweet potatoes (yams), peeled, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons salt